Alcona was at first named "Negwegon County", after the name of a well-known Chippewa chief, also known as "Little Wing", who was an American ally against the British in the War of 1812. It was renamed to Alcona County on March 8, 1843.
Organized in 1885, Alger was named for lumber baron Russell Alexander Alger, who was elected as a Michigan Governor, and U.S. Senator, and appointed as U.S. Secretary of War during the William McKinley Presidential administration.
Allegan County was organized in 1885 and has long been a regional tourist draw, particularly the Tulip Time Festival in Holland and the area along Lake Michigan. Allegan also hosts the Saugatuck Dunes State Park with trails through scenic dunes and a swimming beach on Lake Michigan.
Officially organized in 1857, Alpena County was originally named, Anomickee County. The 45th parallel bisects the county, meaning it is half way between the North Pole and the equator.
Antrim was originally named Meegisee (meaning "eagle"), which was the name of a Chippewa chief who signed the 1821 Treaty of Chicago and the 1826 Treaty of Mississinwas. The name Antrim was one of five Irish or Scots Irish names given to renamed counties.
Arenac County was organized in 1883. The name, Arenac, coined by Henry Schoolcraft, is a derivation of the Latin "arena" and the Native American "ac". The combined words mean “A sandy place for a good footing."
Baraga is named after Bishop Frederic Baraga. Point Abbaye projects from the county, creating the Huron Bay, although it is located at the base of the Keweenaw Peninsula on Lake Superior. Mount Arvon is the highest natural point in Michigan at 1,979 feet (603 m).
Organized in 1839, Barry County is the host of the annual Barry-Roubaix cycling race. It was named for William Taylor Barry, United States Postmaster General under President Andrew Jackson, making it one of Michigan's "cabinet counties".
Bay County was founded in 1857 after formally being part of Arenac County. It's considered to be part of Tri Cities, Bay City, Saginaw, and Midland, all of which surround the city of Flint.
Berrien County was organized in 1831. William Burnett came from New Jersey and established a trading post at the mouth of the St. Joseph River, and traded with indigenous peoples and French Canadians who lived in the area at that time.
Branch County was organized in 1883. As one of the "cabinet counties" it was named for the U.S. Secretary of the Navy John Branch under President Andrew Jackson.
Organized in 1833, Calhoun County was named after John C. Calhoun, who was at the time Vice President under Andrew Jackson, making it one of Michigan's "cabinet counties."
Cass County was organized in 1829 and is considered part of Greater Michiana (a combination of Michigan and Indiana). It is known for excellent fishing and boating.
Charlevoix County was originally set off in 1840 as Keskkauko, and name changed in 1843 and later organized in 1869. The iconic bridge downtown adds to the tourism that surrounds the area.
Organized in 1840, Cheboygan County shares the same origin as that of the Cheboygan River, although the precise meaning is no longer known. It may have come from an Ojibwe word zhaabonigan meaning "sewing needle".
Residing on the eastern most point of the Upper Peninsula, Chippewa County was organized in 1829 and named after the Chippewa Tribe.
Organized in 1871, Clare County is named after the County Clare in Ireland. It's known for it's outdoors sports such as skiing, fishing, and boating.
Named after early American politician, DeWitt Clinton, Clinton County was organized in 1839 and is included in Lansing-East.
Organized in 1879, Crawford County was named for Col. William Crawford, a Revolutionary War soldier killed in 1782 while fighting Native Americans in Ohio. It is home to the Au Sable Forest and river.
Delta County was organized in 1861. Its name originates from the Greek letter "delta", which refers to the triangular shape of the original county which included segments of Menominee, Dickinson, Iron, and Marquette counties.
Located along the Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin border, Dickinson County is Michigan's newest county, organized in 1891 and home to Iron Mountain.
Named in honor of Gen. John H. Eaton, secretary of war in the cabinet of President Andrew Jackson, Eaton County is considered part of Lansing-East.
First named Tonedagana County and renamed Emmet County on March 8, 1843, Emmet County is home to one of the top ten small cities in America, Petosky.
The birthplace of General Motors, Genesee County's seat is Flint. It has also had the most tornados of any other county in Michigan.